The parish church of St. Mary-the-Virgin is largely Norman but with significant traces
of earlier work, the problems of which are unresolved. The nave is impressive with
five bays, and the crossing has an ancient chalk block vaulting. The chancel is Early
English with later flying buttresses intended to the very obvious spread of the upper
walls. There is a fine set of Misericords reliably dated around 1400. The tower has
a curious turret at its southeast corner that is locally referred to as a Saxon watch
tower but is built at least partly from Caen stone; it may be that it may be dated
from the time of the conquest but in an antique style sometimes called Saxo-Norman.
A doorway in the turret opens out some two metres above the present roof line.